Match Report: Whitecaps v TSS Rovers

A round-up of both the Women’s and Men’s action this past Sunday as the Whitecaps hosted TSS Rovers at the Thunderbird Stadium.


TSS Rovers began their League1 BC season with a heavy defeat as the Whitecaps cruised to a 7-0 win at the Thunderbird Stadium.

With the Whitecaps applying pressure from the off, an early chance came their way when Iba Oching headed over a Noelle Sather cross after six minutes. 

The early dominance continued, and ten minutes into the game, the Whitecaps got their opener. Jeneva Hernandez Gray danced her way through a couple of TSS defenders before slotting the ball into the bottom right-hand corner.

Just 10 minutes later, the Whitecaps had their second. A ball sent in by Noelle Sather found its way to Ashley Roberts, who, unmarked, placed her shot past Mae Hobenshield in the TSS goal.

The Whitecaps made it three in 26 minutes when Sather fired a sublime free-kick into the top corner from 25 yards out.

The Whitecaps pressure was relentless; moments after Sather scored their third, Hernandez Gray got the Whitecaps’ fourth and her second of the night when Hobenshield was dispossessed on her goal line, allowing Hernandez Gray an easy finish from a yard out.

Whitecaps hit again on the brink of halftime when the on-rushing Joy Kimwewe met a low cross and struck the ball past Hobenshield to make it 5-0 to the Whitecaps at the interval. 

Five half-time Whitecaps substitutes killed some of their momentum at the start of the second half, allowing TSS more possession of the ball in what was their brightest spell of the game. 

As the half wore on, the Whitecaps began to probe the TSS defence once again. Hernandez Gray, on a hat-trick, collected a through ball and poked it past Hobenshield to make it six with 15 minutes left. 

In the 85th minute, the Whitecaps made it seven with another fantastic free-kick, this time courtesy of Kierra Blundell.

The whistle finally blew in what must have seemed like a long night for the Rovers. The Whitecaps were unstoppable, and the individual brilliance of Hernandez Grey did them no favours. In fairness to TSS, the Whitecaps are the team to beat this season, and as far as opening games go, it doesn’t get much tougher.


TSS Rovers’ midweek cup defeat was put to bed as they made light work of the Whitecaps at the Thunderbird Stadium. 

TSS made the perfect start inside 10 minutes when Michael Hennessey and Tyler Dhillon linked up well on the right-hand side, the latter delivering a perfect ball that Devin O’Hea headed in.

With 10 minutes left of the second half, TSS made it two. Matteo Polisi sent a ball into space on the left for Gurman Sangha. He skilfully beat his man before returning the ball to the on-coming Polisi, who made no mistake from a few yards out.

Five minutes later, things went from bad to worse for the Whitecaps when TSS bagged their third. Kian Proctor’s in-swinging corner found its way to Sangha, who headed in from close range. 

The Whitecaps nearly pulled one back on halftime when Amirmahdi Ghasemi’s effort struck the outside of the post. 

David Ajagbe did salvage a goal for the Whitecaps when he headed home an in-swinging corner. 

But there was to be no comeback for the Whitecaps. Koji Poon, through on goal, unselfishly laid the ball off for Massud Habibullah, who slotted home a fourth. With eight minutes left, it was game over for the Whitecaps.

It was a dominant performance from TSS who bounced back well from Wednesday’s Canadian Championship defeat. The front four linked up excellently while the defence remained organised and compact throughout, leaving the Whitecaps with little opportunity to inflict damage. 

“It was crucial to win today. We wanted to start strong and set high standards right from the beginning,” said TSS captain Danylo Smychenko.

“We’ll carry on building confidence game after game. Today was a great way to start that.”